Twin Lights Tribune

NHS Selection Criteria

The National Honor Society chapter of Rockport High School is a duly chartered and affiliated chapter of this prestigious national organization. Membership is open to those students who meet the required standards in four areas of evaluation: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Students are selected for membership by majority vote of a five-member principal-appointed faculty council, which bestows this honor upon qualified students on behalf of the faculty of our school each fall.

Students in grades 10, 11 and 12 are eligible for membership. For the scholarship criterion, a student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.7 or better on a 4.0 scale. Each fall those students who meet this criterion are invited to complete a Candidate Form that provides the faculty council with information regarding the candidate’s leadership and service.

To evaluate a candidate’s character, the faculty council uses three forms of input. First, school disciplinary records are reviewed. Second, members of the faculty are solicited for input regarding their professional reflections on a candidate’s service activities, character, and leadership. Third, candidates submit a written statement explaining why they feel they meet the criteria to be a member of the NHS.

Any solicited faculty input and all Candidate Forms are carefully reviewed by the faculty council to determine membership. A majority vote of the council is necessary for selection. Candidates are notified regarding selection or nonselection according to a predetermined schedule.

Following notification, a formal induction ceremony is held at the school to recognize all the newly selected members. Once inducted, new members are required to maintain the same level of performance (or better) in all four criteria that led to their selection.

• NHS Selection Criteria

NHS

Try Out for the NHS’s “Rockport has Talent Show”

• NHS Selection Criteria

NHS

NHS Blood Drive

• NHS Selection Criteria

General Interest

NHS Blood Drive will be Friday, March 22nd

• NHS Selection Criteria

NHS

NHS will Induct its New Members at the Shalin Liu

• NHS Selection Criteria

Sports

Spring Sports Season Begins

• NHS Selection Criteria

Calendar of Events

Middle School Show – The Lion King Jr!

• NHS Selection Criteria

Congregational Church

Emma’s Revolution with opener Willa Mamet

• NHS Selection Criteria

DECA

Rockport DECA Chapter Heads to Nationals

• NHS Selection Criteria

General Interest

Awesome Rockport Students

• School News

Winter Sports Awards Night

The Student and Community News Site of Rockport High School
NHS Selection Criteria