Viking News Week of 11/19/18

Patrick Morin

Rockport High School

Viking News

The Week of 11/19/2018

The Week Ahead…

11/19   ALICE drill @ 1pm – F & G blocks will flop that day –Bring your coats with you to class to prepare for the evacuation.

11/21   Close at 11:00 for Thanksgiving Break – RHS Spirit rally in the GYM at 10:15

Upcoming Dates

11/29 RPS Choral Festival @ 7pm in the Auditorium

12/6    Career Day from 8:30am-10:05am.

12/6 History Fair during U block

12/10 HS Chamber Ensembles & Madrigal Choir @ 7pm Shalin Liu Performance Center

12/12 ½ day – dismissal at 11:00

12/18 HS Winter Concert @ 7pm in the Auditorium

12/21   ½ day – dismissal at 11:00 – RHS Spirit rally in the GYM at 10:12

Half Day Details

Please note that food services are not available on half days.  All high school students are dismissed at 11:00am.

Bell Schedule

11/21/18

12/12/18

12/21/18

WEDS

WEDS

FRI

7:35 – 8:27

A Block

A Block

A Block

8:29 – 9:20

D Block

C Block

D Block

9:22 – 10-10

G Block

E Block

G Block

10:12 – 11:00

F  Block (RHS Pep Rally in the GYM)

G Block

F  Block

Winter Athletic Registration

Registration for winter sports is open on FamilyID.com and will stay open until November 19th. Please review all information on FamilyID.com while registering your student athlete.

RHS History Fair

Parents/Guardians are cordially invited to attend the first annual RHS History Fair to be held on Thursday, December 6th during U Block (12:45-2:10). For this, the first year, participation in the History Fair is part of the curriculum for sophomores and juniors in honors history classes. Students have been hard at work doing original research and creating exhibits, documentaries, papers, performances, and websites on the theme: Triumph and Tragedy in History. This event is the first step on a National History Day journey through regional and state competitions, with a national competition in Maryland in June (for those that qualify). The process undertaken for History Day teaches critical thinking, writing, and research skills which translate into better performance across all subjects and into success after high school: in college, career, and citizenship. Even if you do not have a student participating this year, we hope you will come to see the projects and support historical inquiry and scholarship!

Rockport Harmony

First Ever Youth Coffeehouse

November 17th @ 6:30pm at The Congregational Church in Rockport

Any RPS student who loves the arts is invited to attend this independently operated event.  Although this event is organized outside the parameters of the school, your classmates have worked hard to put this opportunity together!

If you have any questions about the event, please email rockportharmony@gmail.com or friend them on Facebook @RockportHarmony.

Career Day

Students filled out sign-up sheets this past week for our upcoming Career Day taking place on December 6th.  If you were not in school or did not fill out the form, please see Mr. Larsen ASAP to reserve your spot for this fantastic event!  We have roughly 50 professionals from throughout the community coming to speak to you on that day.

Notes from Ms. Rose…

A reminder to all students about the ALICE drill on Monday.  Please be sure to bring your coats to class with you in preparation for the drill.  A note that G & F blocks are flopped on Monday to allow you to experience the drill with a different teacher, in a different classroom.  Please plan accordingly.

Peer Leaders will be sponsoring a pep rally on Wednesday 11/21 from 10:15-11:00.  I would like to thank them for their ongoing efforts to make RHS an amazing place.  I look forward to ringing in the long weekend with some fun as a RHS family:)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!  I hope you can take some time to step away and relax with family and friends.  I look forward to welcoming you back on Monday, November 26th 😊

This past week, Kudos to RHS…..

• Athletes who were recognized at Fall Athletic Awards this past Tuesday! ⚽🏈🏑🏃

• Jazz Band I & II students who performed at the Fall Jazz Concert this past Wednesday at the Shalin Liu Performance Center. 🎷

• Students who attended the newly instated “Open Mic” in the music area during U block.  Please see Mr. Cohen or Mr. Lawnsby if you are interested in learning more 🎤

Here’s to a great week ahead 😄

-Ms. Rose