Twin Lights Tribune

Lemon Meltaways

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lemon Meltaways

Julia Drost, Contributor

These lemon cookies melt in your mouth. They are light and have a fresh taste. These are both a refreshing cookie to have in the summer and a cookie to have in the winter when you are longing for the sweet fresh taste of Summer. The only thing that I would do differently with this recipe is I would up the amount of lemon juice in the glaze especially if you are one who likes the pop of lemon. Even if you don’t add extra lemon juice to the glaze I would recommend adding extra powdered sugar to get a firmer glaze. In the recipe, it says you can garnish the cookies with lemon zest (you will need more than it calls for if you plan on garnishing all the cookies with it). I also garnished my cookies with some decorating sugar to add another dimension to the cooking but both garnishes are completely optional. I copied and pasted the recipe and instruction, and added some note in italics, to make it easy to find but feel free to visit the website called Saving Room for Dessert at https://www.savingdessert.com/lemon-meltaways/.

Ingredients

For the cookie dough:

• 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (2 tablespoons less than a cup/2 sticks of butter)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest, packed – about 2 lemons (if any extra save for later in the recipe)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, about 1 lemon (if any extra save for later in the recipe)
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

For the lemon glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar (you might need more to make a thicker and quicker drying glaze)
    • 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I recommend closer to 3 tablespoons)
    • 1 teaspoon lemon zest for garnish if desired (I recommend more)
    • Decorating sugar for garnish if desired

Instructions

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. (You may need to scrape sides with a spatula before it can be fully incorporated)
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Gently blend on low until incorporated, scraping down sides with a spatula as needed.
  3. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk together.
  4. Add the flour in four batches (these do not have to be even amounts) to the creamed butter and lemon mixture. Blend on medium low until each is incorporated.
  5. Place the cookie dough in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
  6. To bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  7. Scoop a level spoonful of dough using a 1-inch cookie scoop. Roll each into a tight ball and place two inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
  8. If you want to make cookie discs, press each dough ball to the desired thickness using the bottom of a flat glass covered with a small piece of wax paper.
  9. Bake for 13 minutes at 350F until lightly browned around the edges (if they need more time add time in 2 minute increments). Slide the parchment paper and baked cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
  10. Repeat with a new piece of parchment paper placed on a cooled cookie sheet. Cool cookies completely if using a glaze. If covering in confectioners’ sugar, allow the hot cookies to cool for a minute then toss in 1 cup of powdered sugar to coat. Cool completely on the wire rack.
  11. To make the glaze, mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice. Add more lemon juice or sugar as needed to reach desired consistency. Spread on each cookie and garnish with lemon zest (and decorating sugar) if desired.
  12. Allow the glaze to fully set then store cookies in a cool place or refrigerator.

First in a series of recipes I will submit as part of my 9th grade English class 20 Time Project.  

• Recipes

Mini Cheesecakes

• Recipes

Pineapple Dump Cake

• Lemon Meltaways

Recipes

Lava Cakes

• Recipes

Oreo Truffles

• Local Story Features

The NHS sponsored Rockport’s Got Talent Show will be shown on TV

• Lemon Meltaways

General Interest

Paperless Poetry Winners are Announced!

• Lemon Meltaways

Senior Center

April 2019 Senior Center Calendar

• Recipes

Mini Cheesecakes

• Lemon Meltaways

Local Story Features

The Multi-Purposed Procter Brothers

• Local Story Features

Is Fishing Hurting Our Ocean?

The Student and Community News Site of Rockport High School
Lemon Meltaways