Twin Lights Tribune

• Nomination papers for class officers due next Tuesday.

• Senior Showcase on Wednesday!!

• Prom is on Friday!!

Rockport High Schoolers Continue to Make History

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photos from RHS History Day

Sunday March 3 was the regional National History Day competition at Beverly High School. Building on the efforts of last year’s trio of history pioneers–Tess Campbell, Jane Reilly, and Hailey Faulds–2019 saw an unprecedented 29 students and 13 projects.

The Rockport contingent consisted of the following students from Mrs. Walker’s 10th and Mrs. Herrmann’s 11th grade honors classes: Kyle Marek, Alexa Osier, Breanna Jackson, Isabelle Jackson, Hailey Faulds, Jolie Frontiero, Jake Engel, Ivo Allen, Jackson Renda, Elowyn Akers, Catherine Cheseldine-Ackerman, Nicole Cournoyer, Rhiannon Hurst, Sheriff Arnaud, John Andrew, Andrew Guelli, Adam Ramsden, Sophie Renda, Tess Campbell, Winnie Gao, Rizza Anderson, Emma Christopher, Rachel Dailey, Madelyne Dixon, Molly Timmons, Holly Gagnon, Colleen Murphy, Gus Johnson, and Ben Porter. The projects included websites, documentaries, exhibits, and a performance.

After participating in the inaugural Rockport High School History Fair in early December, Mrs. Walker’s and Mrs. Herrmann’s students were offered the opportunity to take their projects into regional competition. More than half decided to compete. Over the next two months, the students continued to work on and improve their projects. These efforts prepared them well for the regional competition in which their work was on display and the students themselves were subject to questioning by a panel of judges. Of course, there were nerves and jitters as they waited to present their projects, but this stress soon gave way to a huge sense of relief after the judging was complete.

Researching and living with a topic for months at a time builds expertise. There are countless other happy “side effects” of National History Day, as Mrs. Walker explains: “The students embraced the opportunity to explore topics of personal interest that were not covered in the curriculum. This made for more engagement and better projects—projects that both impressed me and made them proud.” It can bring siblings together in scholarship, as in the case of Isabelle and Breanna Jackson: “Being able to further our research skills and look into a topic that we personally wanted to know more about, was a great experience that we both enjoyed.” NHD can also foster a greater understanding of the rich history and resources that surround us, as explained by The Perfect Storm group of Winnie Gao and Tess Campbell, “Since we live where the storm took place, we were able to talk to local business owners, such as Scott Memhard. He is the owner of Cape Pond Ice and knew the crew, owner, and boat fairly well due to their business at his company. We learned a lot from him, and he actually helped verify some of the information we had obtained from newspapers, websites, and reports.” Whatever the outcome of the competition, it is the process that holds the greatest educational value, as observed by Mrs. Herrmann: “National History Day has been the most valuable project I have ever done with students–they were really doing history rather than just consuming history–and their results surpassed my expectations.”

Sophia Renda won a Massachusetts History Day special award for the best project about Salem, Massachusetts. Rockport’s only performance group, consisting of Nicky Cournoyer, Catherine Cheseldine-Ackerman, and Rhiannon Hurst, won Honorable Mention for their portrayal of The Trial of Jeanne d’Arc.

Around the country, more than half a million middle and high school students are currently competing in National History Day contests. Students conduct rigorous historical research focused around the 2019 theme, Triumph and Tragedy in History, and create a project in one of five categories: documentary, exhibit, paper, performance, or website.

“The annual theme provides a way to increase students’ historical understanding by developing a lens to read history,” National History Day Executive Director Dr. Cathy Gorn.

The theme is chosen for the broad application to world, national, or state history and its relevance to ancient history or to the more recent past. The intentional selection of the theme for NHD is to provide an opportunity for students to push past the antiquated view of history as mere facts and dates and drill down into historical content to develop perspective and understanding.

“Simply completing a National History Day Contest project is an accomplishment,” said Gorn. “But these students do so much more. They conduct original historical research and often uncover history that was unknown. They learn skills that will help them both in college and their careers. And above all, they develop a passion for learning.”

History day teaches students to:

• Conduct in-depth research
  • Use primary and secondary sources
  • Work with libraries, archives, museums, oral history interviews, and/or historic sites
  • Analyze and interpret their findings
  • Write and present their historical research

Above information from:

https://www.nhd.org/

http://www.masshistoryday.com/Home_Page.html

• Rockport High Schoolers Continue to Make History

Library

RHS Students to Present about Local History

• Local Story Features

RPS Give Back day was a HUGE success!

Calendar of Events

Welcome Millie to Millbrook Meadow

DECA

Chloe Beaulieu, RHS Senior, competing in Final DECA Round in Florida

Local Story Features

The Wonders of Bearskin Neck

• Local Story Features

The NHS sponsored Rockport’s Got Talent Show will be shown on TV

Local Story Features

The Multi-Purposed Procter Brothers

• Local Story Features

Is Fishing Hurting Our Ocean?

Local Story Features

Local History and Why We Need It

• Local Story Features

Lost at Sea: A Personal Connection

The Student and Community News Site of Rockport High School