Pi Day and Einstein’s Birthday Celebrated with International Partners

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of the NASA-RHS Students Exploring Earth and Space Initiative (aka Science Club) with warped spacetime simulator in the foreground and members of the Astronomy Academy at a high school in La Serena, Chile streamed live on the projection screen.

William H. Waller

William H. Waller

William H. Waller

Dr. William H. Waller, RHS Science Teacher

The date of March 14 (3-14) provides the first 3 digits of the renowned number Pi (or π in common usage).  A great historical overview of this mathematical icon was written by our own Catherine McNiff .  This year’s Pi Day occurred on Thursday, where members of the RHS Science Club, faculty, and leaders celebrated in fine style.  Besides savoring multiple fruit pies sloshed down with apple cider, participants also bore witness to the awarding of NASA-RHS Certificates of Achievement in Scientific Inquiry, played with a warped space-time simulator, and marveled at card tricks by Owen Parsons and Cameron Diaz.  The awardees this year consisted entirely of the Biodigester Team which include Rhiannon Hurst as ring leader with Elowyn Akers, Nicole Cournoyer, Madelyne Dixon, Richard (Tres) Morrill, and Molly Timmons as indefatigable assistants.

Perhaps most exciting, the RHS students got to interact live with students at a high school in La Serena, Chile.  With translating assistance from Rotary Exchange student Chaime Bernal here and an English teacher there, students and faculty were able to bridge the language gap.  This interaction was made possible through both schools’ joint involvement as Einstein Schools, a program hosted by the International Astronomical Union.  Future interactions are planned, some around upcoming auspicious dates and events in astronomy.