Sophia Orlando takes Second Place in the LWV Statewide Climate Change Video Contest

Senior Sophia Orlando won second place in the Climate change video contest, sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Massachusetts.  LWVMA invited Massachusetts high school students to create videos with content that raises public awareness about one aspect of climate change and suggests a course of action. The winning entries were selected from a large group of entries from across the Commonwealth. A panel of judges scored each video on criteria including clarity of message, memorability, presentation, and creativity.  The winners will receive awards of $500 (first place); $250 (second place); $100 (third place); and $50 (honorable mention).

“The League has been advocating for issues of the environment for decades. We couldn’t be happier to join with and amplify the voices of high school students. Collectively we can make a difference on climate change,” said LWVMA Executive Director Michelle Kweder.

“We are all inspired by the creative visions of the many high school students who shared their messages of climate action through this contest,” said Mary Ann Ashton, president of LWVMA. “The League of Women Voters of Massachusetts hopes these videos engage everyone throughout the Commonwealth to take action to lessen the impacts of climate change.”

The winners were:

First Place:  “The Urban Shade Tree: Nature’s Air Conditioner” by Madeleine Lombard, Four Rivers Charter Public School

Second Place:  “Rising Sea Levels” by Sophia Orlando, Rockport High School

Third Place“How Composting Helps the Environment” by Jessica Elmhurst, Walpole High School

An award ceremony to honor the winners will be held on April 11 at 3:45pm at the Massachusetts State House, Room 428.