RHS Orchestra and Chorus Have Successful Weekend at Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pictured above: RHS orchestra with conductors Nathan Cohen and Soni Razdan

Sydney Champagne, Contributor/Editor

Students working in a quick clinic with an adjudicator after their performance

This past weekend, the RHS orchestra and chorus traveled to two different locations in southern Massachusetts to compete in the MICCA competition. MICCA, or the Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral Conductors Association, is dedicated to the study of music through performance. Creating opportunities for evaluation and expert opinion and feedback to all participants in a non-competitive setting is the main focus of the event.

It was Rockport’s first year attending MICCA, and conductors Nathan Cohen, Soni Razdan and Patricia Pike could not be more proud of their students. Everyone involved worked extremely hard to prepare for the event, and attended with very positive attitudes despite not having any prior experience competing. Both groups were awarded bronze medals, which is the 3rd place plaque out of 5 places. After performing, groups had a clinic with one of the adjudicators who were able to work with the students and provide helpful feedback about their performance, including what they did well and how they could improve. The adjudicators who worked with the groups were very impressed with the complexity of the pieces the conductors had picked for the students to play, which demonstrated the high level that Rockport Music holds itself to.

Cohen and Pike are looking forward to attending MICCA again next year and building upon the base that they have set up for themselves this year as first time attendees of the competition.