Freshman’s Opinions on Freshman Seminar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman’s Opinions on Freshman Seminar

Fiona Canning

The freshmen class of 2023 has mixed opinions on a new class at RHS this year called Freshman Seminar. Freshman Seminar is a class designed to help freshmen ease into high school and learn real life skills; or at least that’s what we’re told. The feedback received from some freshmen is that the class has the tendency to mess up the rest of their schedule. It’s been said that the class itself can be helpful and productive, but that it can also be aggravating because of the fact that it takes away time from a second elective.

Though the class can be a helpful and positive way to start every day (except Tuesdays), Freshman Seminar can have an effect on some students that actually makes them feel more behind in other classes because of scheduling. For example, some students who have academic support are taken out of Freshman Seminar a few days each week. This is unhelpful because important things happen in both classes, and if you miss one you often end up feeling more behind in the class you missed. Health is supposed to happen about once a week or so in each Freshman Seminar group. Though teachers try their best to keep it consistent, health often falls on different days of the week. So students who go to academic support or a different band class that day sometimes miss out on health. Overall, a handful of students feel that the class sometimes makes them feel more behind than ahead.

Many freshmen feel that the class is very helpful and even enjoyable. Freshmen class president Sophia Lucido says “Freshmen Seminar is an enjoyable class where students can get to know each other better”.  Other students have said the class is helpful because it teaches you real world skills and helps with getting through freshmen year overall. The class is an easy A, so it isn’t stressful, and the relaxed atmosphere makes it easy to be productive. All in all, it’s a nice way to start the day.

Freshmen seminar is a class designed specifically for freshmen and so it can be helpful in that sense. The class definitely could be improved as far as scheduling goes, but that’s very normal taking into account that this is the first year ever having the class.