Athletes Dye their Hair Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity girls soccer team repping pink hair, socks, and bows before their home game against Georgetown on 10/8

Sydney Champagne, Contributor/Editor

The month of October is national Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is one of the most common kinds of cancer in women: about 1 in 8 women born today in the United States will get breast cancer at some point. The good news is that most women can survive breast cancer if it’s found and treated early. National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a chance to raise awareness about the importance of finding breast cancer early.

In the past, during October each team will have one home game dedicated to breast cancer awareness month by wearing pink socks, getting pink balloons for a game, and raising money. This year, students chose to make a more longer lasting approach to raising awareness for breast cancer; all players on the girls varsity soccer team and the field hockey team dyed their hair pink.

In addition to being an unforgettable team bonding experience, these girls really stepped it up this year in being passionate about raising awareness for this horrible illness and wanting to show their support to the people diagnosed.