The First of Many Lasts for a High School Senior

Sydney Champagne, Contributor/Editor

It’s Wednesday, October 23, a dreary, cloudy day, and I am lacing up my soccer cleats for the last time. I have been playing soccer for 14 years, and this was the day that a significant chapter of my life would come to a close. As my team huddles up before kick off, the eight seniors on my team all share some caring words, and a few tears are shed. I didn’t realize how fast the season would fly by; and now it’s over. Just like that.

The next day, I submitted 5 college applications. With just a click of a button, I was making leaps and bounds in preparing for my future. All I can do now is wait. That’s the scariest part; you can prepare for your future all you want, but at the end of the day you can never fully plan the rest of your life. It’s all up to fate, and even after all the hard work and preparation you’ve put in, you just have to wait and see where your life takes you.

Friday, November 1: the end of Quarter 1. Obviously not as big of a milestone as the last event, but nonetheless. The ending of this first quarter signified that the senior class only had just over 6 months left of their high school careers. Where is the time going? I remember freshman year like it was yesterday, my whole life lying ahead of me. I had no idea what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be. Now, it’s all happening. I still don’t have it all figured out, but I have way more of a plan than I used to.

Within the coming weeks, we will attend a boys soccer game for the last time. Boys soccer games at RHS are as big as football games anywhere else: they’re kind of a big deal. I’ve been attending them since 7th grade. These games helped to cultivate the tight-knit school culture that we all adore about Rockport. We leave these games behind, but the memories are something we will always be able to look back on with a smile. The relationships we’ve formed have shaped us into the people we are today, and the leaders we are becoming.

In the months to come, we will attend our last semi-formal, our last spirit week, our last prom. We will share sorrow over our rejection letters, and share joy over our acceptances. On May 1, we will commit to a college and breathe a sigh of relief that the most stressful part is over. And finally, on Friday June 5 we will walk down the graduation aisle, accept our diplomas, shake Mrs. Rose’s hand, and become alumni of Rockport High School.

We have so many more lasts to come in 2020; but we also have so many firsts to come as well. I am immensely proud of the accomplishments and growth that I’ve seen in myself and my peers over these years, and I feel fortunate to be part of such a lovely community. The Class of 2020 is bursting with talent, intellect, and future world leaders. I am grateful to have been a part of this wonderful group of people, and I am looking forward to the rest of our senior year and all of the memories we will make yet to come.